Tuesday, September 1, 2009

We Kill Everything We Love 2

Second piece in the "Kalle Lasn" series. I find it ironic and distasteful that people fantasize about owning such a fancy "toy" (not just the Fisher-Price version, but a real Hummer vehicle itself) that is manufactured to be used in wars. I also find it a little disturbing that something like this is sold off to parents who want to give their children something "cute" or "cool" to drive. I know that most kids this age might not fully understand the concepts of environmentalism or consumerism (other than "gimme, gimme"), but something like this is really enough to make me sick.

It is strange that children die horrible deaths every day in wars, and yet parents still find the idea of their child driving a mini Hummer to be cute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek~ I hear you.

Even though I really used to like those old hummers (mostly for the design. There's something about that "army look" I really like, but do not support) it's disgusting to know what those cars do to the environment... and to a bigger extent like you mention, our younger generations' thought process and what not >:/

Nice piece! How to you come up with the final? It looks like you took some sort of photo through frosted glass, and yet drew on top of it? /curious

Jennifer Cuellar said...

I completely understand the admiration for the aesthetic design of something (I feel the same way), but if it's not functional or practical, then there's no point in buying or using it. And for people to buy something like a Hummer (or SUV or any other type of gas guzzler) just because it's "cool"... well, meh. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Anyway... I'm happy to hear you liked the piece! As for the process, it's pretty simple: I've been drawing both on paper (the background in the finished, layered image is on paper) and on vellum. I then layer the images and put an extra sheet of vellum between the background drawing and the vellum drawing in order to give it a little less transparency. (The idea is for people to get as close as they can to see what's really going on in the piece.) I was wondering if I should add yet another layer of vellum, but I think that might make it a little too difficult to see.